Transferring to URI, RIC, or CCRI

While 81 percent of entering community college students indicate they want to earn a bachelor's degree or higher, only 33 percent of entering students actually transfer to a four-year institution within six years (Horn & Skomsvold, 2011Jenkins & Fink, 2016). If you are considering transferring, OPC wants to help! Many, many people make the choice to transfer schools and there are resources at OPC and at each of the Institutions to help you. 


If you are considering transferring:

  1. Think about what courses you need to take to advance in your preferred major

  2. Talk to your advisor

  3. Review the transfer requirements at your preferred school

  4. Review RI Transfers for important information and deadlines

  5. Consider your financial aid options

  6. Talk to your advisor again and review your transfer plan!



Transfer Resource pages by Institution: 


URI logo       RIC logo       CCRI logo


RI Transfers

RI Transfers ( has detailed information on transferring to the Community College of Rhode Island, Rhode Island College and the University of Rhode Island. Course transfer agreements can be easily viewed by using the Transfer Evaluation System (TES) software available at RI Transfers. Transfer agreements for courses meeting general education requirements, program transfer plans, and Joint Admission Agreement transition plans are also easily accessed at this site. Popular links include:

The material on the website is based upon the policies of the RI Council on Postsecondary Education (specifically the Transfer and Articulation policy S6) and agreements developed among academic department from the state’s public colleges and university.


Reverse Transfer 

Reverse transfer enables students to apply credits they earned at a four-year institution toward an associate degree or certificate at a two-year institution. In Rhode Island, the reverse transfer policy allows individuals to apply credits from the University of Rhode Island and Rhode Island College toward a degree or certificate at the Community College of Rhode Island. 

To be eligible for this program, students must meet CCRI degree or certificate requirements, including completing at least 15 credits at CCRI. Students can also apply credits earned through prior learning assessments, which award college credit for applicable work experience, employer training, military service, independent study, non-credit courses, volunteer or community service, or non-college courses or seminars.